February 23, 2012

Burda Magazine 4/2011 Tierred Dress #110



This was another "let's-do-something-with-my-stash" project.
I was originally gonna make a wrap dress with this crinkle cotton lawn, but when I got this fabric it was just way too pink.
I thought the pink would be overwhelming as a wrap dress, so I looked for an alternative.
I think it is still an overwhelming pink... But it looks more spring-y or summer-y.

This dress will probably be better with more lighter fabric like a chiffon, as it's suggested in the magazine.
It's pretty heavy with the lawn.

Here's my review on www.sewing.patternreview.com, rather than repeating everything on the blog!


Pattern Sizing: 36-44

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes except mine is shorter

Were the instructions easy to follow? They were ok, I thought they skipped some details... Like whenyou attach the straps, they just say "attach straps." but you have to remember to attach the straps to the right side of the bodice, edges together, so when you turn over the layers they the edges will be tucked in. (does it make sense?) So I wouldn't recommend this as your first project.
Also, they tell you to stitch some (2nd, 4th, 6th etc) flounces to one continuous piece... I was wondering "why only some pieces?" but it's because on their cutting suggestion, some pieces are cut in one piece and some were cut in two pieces. Just remember all of them should be in one continuous piece.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like how this dress is fitting even though it has volume with al the flounces. (it's actually heavy!)

Fabric Used: crinkled cotton lawn

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: i made the skirt shorter. Although it's really cute as a maxi dress I thought it's too heavy for my height.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I might sew it again when it gets closer to summer. It's a really cute dress. But next time I'll use lighter fabric, maybe chiffon. Also I would probably pick more subtle print (or no print) and color. The design is so romantic, I think this pink was overboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment