January 22, 2010

Placemat Purse - Tutorial

I finished the placemat bag sooner than I expected.




Here's the tutorial. ...More like a report on what I did, but hopefully someone can follow!
First, get the materials ready.
This is the placemat to be used...

Find the center of the fabric by lightly folding the material in half. Mark with light pen. From the center, mark 2 1/2 inches to the right and left. (I'm not sure if you can see, but I used the needle with white ball to mark the 3 points in the picture)

Fold about 1/2 inches and make a pleat for each of 3 points. Just to make it easy, I sew the 3 pleats in place, so I can take the needles out (not shown).


Prepare the inside fabric. The placemat is 15(w) x 11(L) inches.



After making the pleats on the placemat, the dimention became 12(w) x 11(L) inches, so I cut the sides off to match the shape. (Measured 6 inches from the top center to the right & left, and drew a diagnal line to the bottom corners)

I fused the interface to the wrong side of inner fabric, pinned the edges right sides together, then stitched the 3 sides around (right, left, bottom), leaving about 2 inches on the side.

Pin the edges of outer material (placemat) right sides together, and sew around the 3 sides.



When I layer the outer fabric (Placemat) after the pleats were made, there's a little curve... I traced and cut it off the inner material, so it matches the shape.



I forgot to take pictures, but at this point, I attached the magnetic snaps to the inner fabric, about 2 inches from the top.

The next step gives a depth to the bottom of the purse. This is hard to explain, but hope you get it from the picture.
Fold the bottom edges into a triangle. Mark 1 inch to the both sides from the center line. Stitch this line.



Leave about 1/3 inch from the stitch, and cut the edge off. Do the same for both bottom corners, on both inner and outer fabric.



Prepare the ribbon (? what do you call this?) to hold the handles. Cut 2 x 10 inches material.

Fold the material in half, and sew the edge, with about 1/2 in. allowance.

Pull the material inside out. I normally use a tweezer. I hate this part!!! :(



Press, and cut it in 4 pieces.



About 2 inches from the edge of outer fabric, fold the ribbon in half and pin them on.



Assemble the outer and inner fabric together. Put the outer fabric (placemats) in the inner fabric, right sides together.



Stitch the top of the layers together.
From the hole made on inner material, pull the outer material out.



Completely out.



Close the hole.



Put the inner material nicely into the outer purse, and top stitch the top edge.



Attach handles...



And VOILA!! The placemat purse is done!!!
Doesn't even look like it's made of placemats, huh? :)

Since I have about 6 of these placemats, and I don't need that many purses... I'm planning to list it on etsy, or ebay. If you landed on this page & this tutorial, please check it out! :)

*You're welcome to use this tutorial - but please limit to personal use only.


No comments:

Post a Comment