April 4, 2010

Kariza dress top



So awhile ago, I mentioned that I'm trying to recon my Kariza dress to something...


There're two layers of silk fabric on this skirt.




I've made two tops out of this.

First using Simplicity pattern, with the bottom fabric.

I used the edge border as a little accent on the bust area.

Although it looks pretty cute, there're still some improvements needed...
First of all I made the bust area a little too tight.
I didn't want it to "open", so I made it fitted, and it turned out a little hard to breath. :p
And straps are a little misplaced, so it keeps sliding to one side.
I fixed the strap today, and it's a little better.
But I'm too lazy to fix the bust area anymore. It's good enough.

Then today, I just finished this other one using Butterick pattern I was going to make dress out of.
Once again, it looks ok, but needs improvements...


First of all, the pattern calls for a lining.
First I made it without a lining, because when I made a muslin for the dress last time, it felt too bulky.
Then I found out that it would just look very messy to seam around the v-neck area without a lining.
So I actually seam ripped the entire thing and made it over with a lining.
I cut apart an old dress (I used as a pajama) for the lining.
Both fabrics were so hard to work with... silk and polyester.
I don't know, maybe it just wasn't a good match.
I only used a lining on the bust area, because I didn't have enough fabric for it, and I figured it doesn't really need it.
But once it's done, it just feels funny... that some parts are lined and some are not.

Second.
I used an invisible zipper on the side seam.
I LOVE the look of invisible zipper!!! You really can't see anything!!!
BUT... how the heck do you sew on an invisible zipper to a lined top(/dress)!?
I ended up sewing it onto the fabric, then hand stitched the lining to the zipper afterward.
It just looks...CRAPPY.
So once again, it looks ok from out side, but once you turn it inside out... not so great.
But I think it's good enough for a recon.

I just hope I can figure out how to do the zipper part for my dress.
I want it to be perfect!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment