November 26, 2012

Car Seat Organizer - Simplicity 2553


I'm making bunch of car seat organizers for X'mas gift.

I actually ordered Simplicity 2916, but didn't receive it right away, so ended up buying digital pattern of Simplicity 2553 online.
I did receive 2916 and cut into the fabric, but I've gotta tell you that 2553 is MUCH better.
Simplicity 2916 seem to make you cut alot of pieces for pockets etc, and 2553 seem to make you cut one big piece, and just fold it in pleats or stitch lines to make pockets so it's alot easier.

The hardest part about this pattern is definitely prepping.
Cutting the layers of fabric, interfacing, padding, then fusing the interfacings...
Sewing part was a breeze, finished everything in an hour or so.

Another thing is, it's REALLY thick toward the end.
I couldn't even use pins to hold the pieces together, so I used the clips I got from Japan. I love these things!


One thing to mention, is that it wasn't really a cheap project.
Buying two fabrics, interfacing, padding, 2pks of bias tape, webbing, parachute buckle... I think each organizer was about $15-17, using 20% off coupon from www.fabric.com.
I don't know if you think it's cheap or expensive, but to me it was pretty pricey, since I was hoping to make a $10 gift.
But I've never really seen any car organizer in character fabrics (I've seen alot of solid black, etc) so it does make a really nice unique gift, in my opinion.
(I just hope all the receipients enjoy homemade gifts!)

Overall I'm very happy with how this came out.
My kids saw one and of course they wanted one in their favorite character.
I think I will make them one, hoping they can keep the car a little more organized...



No comments:

Post a Comment